Bubble dress sans bubble

IMG_0500

Before the babe was born, I was a sewing machine.  Making pants, dresses, and tops to get her well thru her first year.  And in my over-enthusiastic sewing endeavors, I decided to get ahead of the curve and make her Christening gown.  Which I did here.  And being all relaxed and pregnant, I had the best of intentions.  Sewing a newborn sized gown for her inevitable Christening by aged 2 months… great idea.  But once the babe arrived, this tired, cranky, sleep-deprived mama with leaky boobs and baby spit up permanently covering her at every waking (and not waking) moment couldn’t get it together to actually schedule a baptism.  Yes, the dress was raring to go.  But I was not.

IMG_0495

So, the dress collected dust while I conveniently forgot that I was supposed to get this kid christened.  Until month 9 when the babe finally decided to start sleeping thru the night, giving this tired mama a few blessed minutes to call up the church and schedule a Sunday in August to do the deed (well, if I’m being honest, the hubs actually called the church, but I was the one who reminded him to do it.  Giving myself props for that.)

And shockingly, I couldn’t squeeze the babe into the already made size 0-3 month dress.  Not that I didn’t try.  But thankfully I didn’t get any photos of that fruitless endeavor because the sight of me wrestling a 9 month old into a newborn sized dress was not pretty.  Or my best mothering moment.

So, I sucked it up, bought another yard of silk dupioni, and cut out the size 6-12 month dress.  It was like deja vu all over again.  The same dress, the same vintage lace, the same buttons borrowed from my great aunt.  Except all sized up to actually fit the babe this time.

IMG_0206(pre-christening happy baby)

IMG_0333(post-christening cranky-thumb-sucking baby)

The pattern:  Oliver + S Bubble Dress

The fabric:  white silk dupioni (only about 3/4 of a yard used)

IMG_0493

The modifications:  I lengthened the bodice and omitted the bubble.  The bubble just didn’t seem fitting for a christening gown.  Especially since I wanted the dress to be a bit longer, the bubble just wouldn’t work.  So I simply hemmed the bottom of the dress with the lining inside the hem.  Bubble dress sans bubble.

And while I didn’t get a ton of photos of the babe in her dress, I did get a good shot of the cupcakes I made for the par-tay.  Because who really cares about a silly little white dress when you’ve got cupcakes…

IMG_0290

This entry was posted in Sewing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam Quiz: